We provide commercial advice and specialist representation across the sports and media industries at all levels from amateur to professional. Drawing upon Forum’s litigation, insolvency and financial services expertise, our barristers afford clients a genuine commercial advantage in dealing with complex sporting disputes which often have significant financial implications for the individuals or organisations involved.
We specialise in:
- regulatory and disciplinary matters
- contractual disputes between players, managers, clubs, agents, sponsors and other commercial counterparties
- claims by players and managers against financial advisors, banks and accountants arising out of film finance schemes, property investment, asset management, pensions and other financial products
- issues relating to the insolvency of sports clubs
Our barristers also bring their experience in regulatory matters to bear on disciplinary cases involving sports persons.
Recent sports related instructions includes:
- Darragh Connell acting in a disciplinary arbitration before the National Safeguarding Panel
- Philip Currie acting in various cases concerning compliance with the Gambling Act 2005
- David McIlroy with Darragh Connell acting for a number of retired professional footballers in a high value claim against Coutts & Co concerning a Spanish property development
- Philip Currie and Darragh Connell acted for various creditors seeking the winding up of Lotus F1 Limited
- Darragh Connell successfully representing a League 1 football club in dismissing a winding up petition brought by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs. This instruction also involved obtaining a validation order from the Court pursuant to s.127 of the Insolvency Act 1986 to ensure that the club’s players’ wages continued to be paid until the petition was dismissed
- Philip Currie representing a creditor of Leyton Orient FC
- Darragh Connell advising during the administration of a sports media company which resulted in a pre-packaged sale
Whether you are a sports professional, or your business undertakes sports or media related activities, from drone aerial videography to football management, the Forum Team has the expertise to assist you.